Monday, March 14, 2016

Second Journal Continued

So I finished my journal, listed it on Etsy, and it was gone in less than an hour! So, since I've already prepped it for mailing, I guess I better post the pictures of how made the cover.

This is the finished product, but it started out like this, lots of crumpled up paper bag pieces.
I then deco paged the crumpled pieces onto a cereal box cut to the size I needed to fit over the paper. I made it purposely a close fit, and allowed a bit of over hang because this is a journal that is supposed to look like it was put together with scraps and pieces found over time.
 
After I covered the whole front of the box, I covered it with wax paper, then placed it under a weight (a case of diapers) and allowed it to dry over night. The next day, it looked like this.
I think folded the paper bag pieces over the edges of the cover, and deco paged over them, covered the back side in wax paper and allowed it to dry over night.
I dry brushed some brown acrylic paints in different shades, and then wiped them off with a dry paper towel.  After everything was dry I went over the edges of the spine and around the edge with a finger nail file just to rough it up a bit and make it look a bit faded. A final inspection of any bag pieces that might have lifted around the edge, and the cover was done. All I had to do was glue my text block to the cover and Tada!  Zombie Apocalypse Journal.


No comments:

Post a Comment